Translate website

For when it is time to move on.

Starting Year 7 in 2020?

If your child was born between 1 September 2009 and 31 August 2010 they will be due to start secondary school in September 2020. You will need to apply for a place for your child by 31 October 2019. You must apply for a school place using an Islington application form online (and only online), even if you are applying for a school place in another local authority.

If you do not live in Islington, you must apply using your home local authority’s online form (i.e. the council to whom you pay your council tax).

Key dates

You can apply from 1 September 2019, and you must apply by the deadline, 31 October 2019. We recommend you apply by 18 October 2019, just in case there are any problems with getting online or logging into the site.

31 October 2019: this is your deadline

29 November 2019: this is your deadline to submit a social medical application
2 March 2020: you’ll get an offer by email in the evening
16 March 2020: this is your deadline to accept (or turn down) your school place
2 April 2020: you must send in any appeals for an Islington community school by this date. You can appeal even if you’ve accepted the school place offered.

You can also view the results of your application online after you have registered and applied online.

Firstly, read the Islington secondary school admissions brochure for step-by-step guidance. You can view or download the secondary admissions brochure by clicking on the link found at the bottom of this page in ‘related documents’.Once you have read the brochure and you have decided which schools you would like to apply for, click on the following link which will take you through the online application process.

How can we help at Winton?

If you are resident in a neighboring borough such as Camden, please speak with the school office and we can offer advice on how to access the brochure for that local authority. All brochures can and should be accessed on line.


Parents who have a child with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) should apply for schools in the same as other parents and addition to this, the special educational needs department at the local authority who issued your child’s plan, will contact you about your choices for your child. The ‘Annual Review’ for pupils with an EHCP, will also be used to discuss secondary school placements for pupils with special educational needs.

Go online and look at

See what’s out there! Go and visit the schools and see if they fit your child and their needs.

Read through the brochure and arrange to visit as many schools as you can. Check the dates for ‘open days’ for the schools you are interested in.

Ask if you need help – we are happy to help you!

If you would like to talk about your child’s secondary school feel free to make an appointment with Claire Brown.

Let's make something beautiful together...